Welcome aboard! Now that you’ve submitted your enrollment deposit, here’s some information that may come in handy, along with a few to-do items to cross off your list as you move forward.
** Content on this site was updated on March 13, 2020 **
Transfer Checklist for Success
Explore our list of events and deadlines. We hope this helps you as you start your journey to Georgetown and Southwestern. We’ve identified a few highlights below to get you started!
Getting Your SUeID
Now that you have submitted your enrollment deposit, you will receive an SUeID, your official Southwestern University Electronic ID, which allows you to enter the Southwestern student portal, my.southwestern.edu . Please keep in mind that this is different than your admission status portal login.
- The Information Technology Office will generate SUeID’s about once per week, typically on Thursday.
- SUeIDs will be delivered to you through your admission status portal ; the same place where you received your admission, scholarship, and/or financial aid letters.
- You will use your SUeID to access the mySouthwestern student portal .
- And, you will use your SUeID when it’s time to register for classes (see below), sign up for housing, check your Southwestern email (through the Google Gmail interface), and access Moodle (Southwestern’s classroom management system) when classes start.
Course Registration Information
What’s with the funny name? Well, a Sprog is a new pirate who has not yet been trained on a ship. Attending a Sprog Orientation is your first “training” opportunity and your initial step toward becoming a Southwestern Pirate. Sprog Orientation is exclusively for students who have determined they will be attending Southwestern in the fall, and it is required for all incoming students. If you are unable to attend any of the on-campus Sprog Orientation programs due to distance or unavoidable conflict, please complete this form to this form to request an alternate registration appointment.
If you have any questions about advising or registration, you may contact Renee Burrell at email@example.com or 512.863.1401.
*This is only an option for deposited students. You cannot register until you have received your SUeID. This information can be found in your admission status portal.
Advanced-Entry Seminar (AES)
The Advanced-Entry Seminar is a required course that helps you begin to practice an education that arcs across your experiences and the curriculum; connecting the questions and perspectives you encounter, as well as the skills you develop, to each other and to the world. It is also your first exposure to Paideia—Southwestern’s distinctive interdisciplinary approach to integrating curricular and co-curricular experiences.
This course is for all incoming transfer students. Registration in this course will be done automatically. Course information will be listed soon.
Foreign Language Placement Exam
All students must take 3 semesters of a foreign language as part of Southwestern’s General Education requirements.
Most incoming students are required to take a short exam to determine their level in the language sequence. There are five exceptions to this requirement: 1) students who did not study a foreign language in high school at all; 2) students who studied a foreign language in high school that is not offered at Southwestern; 3) students who are certain they will study a language offered at Southwestern that is different from the one they studied in high school; 4) students who are transferring college-level foreign language credit from another institution.
Please note that having taken the Advanced Placement (AP) or International Baccalaureate (IB) exam does not exempt you from taking the placement exam if you plan to continue studying at Southwestern the language you studied in high school.
Also note that even if you are certain you will study a language at Southwestern you did not study in high school, it is nevertheless highly advisable that you go ahead and take the placement test in the language you have studied. Taking the test in no way commits you to continue in that language, and if you place high enough you may earn course credit and thereby save time and tuition money in completing your degree plan.
Exam information for French, German, and Spanish placement can be found within this webpage.
Exam information for Latin placement can be found within this webpage .
If you have advanced proficiency in a language not taught at Southwestern, you may contact Dr. Bill Christensen at firstname.lastname@example.org to see what arrangements can be made to test you in that language.
Transfer Housing Information
All Transfer Students living on or off campus, must fill out the Incoming Transfer Housing Request form.
Deposited students will receive information in the admission status portal (the one you’ve been using throughout the application process) about your SUeID login credentials. Once you have this information:
1. Go to the MySouthwestern student portal
2. Sign in using your SUeID
3. Click on the WebAdvisor link, lower left-hand corner
4. Fill out the Incoming Transfer Housing Request form
All account balances are required to be paid in full by the posted deadline indicated on your billing statement. Students with past-due balances may be dropped from classes and will not be allowed to move into on-campus housing until paid.
Late-payment penalties are assessed when students fail to pay their current charges by the due dates. A late-payment fee of $100 is charged to all unpaid accounts.
Required Health Record
The Health Center requires copies of your immunization records and a TB screening test by January 6. Please review this information sheet, which provides instructions on how to submit these records to Southwestern. The sheet is for informational purposes only, please disregard the June 1 date.
Call the Health Center directly at 512.863.1252 with any questions you may have.
Student Health Insurance & Waiver
- All full-time students are required to have and maintain health insurance coverage as a condition of enrollment. All student accounts will automatically be charged for the University’s student health insurance plan annual premium.
- Students who need health insurance coverage may purchase Southwestern’s insurance plan for coverage.
Waive the Charge
- A student who is covered through their family’s health insurance plan can waive this charge by providing evidence of a primary insurance plan. You will get an email with all pertinent information and instructions to waive this charge. You may also contact the Business Office at email@example.com or 512.863.1928.
Dewar Tuition Refund Plan & Waiver
- All 2020-2021 students are automatically billed for, and enrolled in, the Dewar Tuition Refund Plan . The Dewar tuition refund plan is an optional supplemental insurance that is offered to protect your educational investment by providing a refund of tuition and fees in addition to the University refund policy in instances where a student withdraws for medical reasons. The plan covers up to 100% for injury and sickness withdrawals and up to 60% for mental health withdrawals with required doctor’s certification that the injury/sickness prevents the student from completing the rest of the semester.
Waive the Charge
- You will get an email with all pertinent information and instructions to waive this charge. You may also contact the Business Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 512.863.1928.
VEHICLE PARKING REGISTRATION & WAIVER
- All Southwestern students are automatically billed $100 per semester for vehicle parking registration.
Waive the Charge
- If the student does not have a vehicle on campus, the charge may be waived. You will get an email with all pertinent information and instructions to waive this charge. You may also contact the Business Office at email@example.com or 512.863.1928.
MOVE-IN AND REQUIRED WELCOME WEEK
- Move In (if applicable): Saturday, August 15
- Required Orientation: Monday, August 17
- First Day of Class: Monday, August 24
Fall 2020 Welcome Week schedule coming soon.
- Follow @SouthwesternU for all the latest news and info via Twitter.