Welcome aboard! Now that you’ve submitted your enrollment deposit, here’s some information that may come in handy, along with a few to-do items to cross off your list as you move forward.
** Content on this site was updated on December 19, 2018 **
Now that you have submitted your enrollment deposit, you will receive an SUeID, your official Southwestern University Electronic ID, which allows you to enter the Southwestern student portal, my.southwestern.edu. Please keep in mind that this is different than your admission status portal.
- The Southwestern Information Technology Office will generate SUeID’s about once per week throughout the month of December.
- SUeIDs will be delivered to you through your admission status portal; the same place where you received your admission, scholarship and/or financial aid letters.
- You will use your SUeID to access the mySouthwestern student portal.
- And, you will use your SUeID when it’s time to register for classes (see below), sign up for housing, check your Southwestern email (through the Google Gmail interface), and access Moodle (Southwestern’s classroom management system) when classes start.
TRANSFER HOUSING INFORMATION
All Transfer Students
All transfer students, living on or off campus, must fill out the Incoming Transfer Housing Request form.
Deposited students will receive information in the admission status portal (the one you’ve been using throughout the application process) about your SUeID login credentials. Once you have this information:
1. Go to the MySouthwestern student portal
2. Sign in using your SUeID
3. Click on the WebAdvisor link, lower left-hand corner
4. Fill out the Incoming Transfer Housing Request form
If you are required to live on campus or have elected to live on campus (*see policy below), and have completed the Incoming Transfer Housing Request form above, contact Bob Flinders, Director of Residence Life & Housing, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 512-863-1866 to sign up for housing.
Possible Spring 2019 On-Campus Housing Options
Students in their first year of college will be placed in first-year residence halls. Upper-level students will be placed in residence halls or apartments based on classification and availability.
*Housing Requirement: Students who have had less than four full-time semesters, or less than 60 total credit hours (not including high school dual credit), will be required to live on-campus and purchase a meal plan unless a housing appeal has been granted.
Course advising and registration for transfer students will be held on January 11, during the required New Student Orientation. To request and advising and registration appointment, fill out and submit this quick registration information form. Someone will be in touch with you shortly after to discuss date and time options. If you have any questions about advising or registration, you may contact Mandie Corcoran by email or at 512.863.1401.
*This is only an option for deposited students. You cannot register until you have received your SUeID. This information can be found in your admission status portal.
FOREIGN LANGUAGE PLACEMENT EXAM
This is the first step you must take before registering for classes. Taking this exam does not mean that you will have to select a foreign language class for your first semester, however, it is a required step to take before you register. Your course registration cannot be completed until you have done so.
All students who plan to continue a language previously studied, who are not transferring credit from another institution, must go to the Modern Languages Web Page to take your Language Placement Exam at least one week prior to registration.
All students must take 3 semesters of a foreign language as part of Southwestern’s General Education requirements. This exam will help us place you in the appropriate class.
The password for the exams can be found within the instructions on this webpage, so please read carefully.You will need to enter your full first and last names to take the exam. You will not need a student ID number and should leave that field blank.
Note: Students taking the Latin exam must read the instruction specific to that exam.
ADVANCED ENTRY SEMINAR (AES)
The Advanced-Entry Seminar is a required course that helps you begin to practice an education that arcs across your experiences and the curriculum; connecting the questions and perspectives you encounter, as well as the skills you develop, to each other and to the world. It is also your first exposure to Paideia—Southwestern’s distinctive interdisciplinary approach to integrating curricular and co-curricular experiences.
This course is for all incoming transfer students. Registration in this course will be done automatically.
Seminar Title & Pre-Class Assignment
Climate Change and the Liberal Arts
If you have questions about the AES course, email Barbara Jean or call 512.863.1567.
The Health Record must be completed, with the assistance of your designated physician, and returned to the Health Center as soon as possible after January 2, 2019.
- Proof of immunizations, or shot record, is a requirement for enrollment.
- All incoming students 21 years of age and under must show proof of a Meningitis vaccination within five (5) years of the first official date of classes.
- All students are required to have a TB screening test and a physical exam performed by a physician, physician assistant or nurse practitioner. These are required and must be dated within the 12 month period prior to the first day of classes.
Due to the confidential nature of this information, please mail forms directly to the Southwestern University Health Center at the following address.
Attn: Health Center
PO Box 770
Georgetown, Texas 78627-0770
Call the Health Center directly at 512.863.1252 with any questions you may have.
STUDENT HEALTH INSURANCE & WAIVER
- All full-time students are required to have and maintain health insurance coverage as a condition of enrollment. All student accounts will automatically be charged for the University’s student health insurance plan annual premium.
- Students who need health insurance coverage may purchase Southwestern’s insurance plan for coverage.
Waive the Charge
- A student who is covered through their family’s health insurance plan can waive this charge by providing evidence of a primary insurance plan. You will get an email with all pertinent information and instructions to waive this charge. You may also contact the Business Office at email@example.com or 512.863.1928.
DEWAR TUITION REFUND PLAN & WAIVER
- All 2018-2019 readmit students are automatically billed for, and enrolled in, the Dewar Tuition Refund Plan. The Dewar tuition refund plan is an optional supplemental insurance that is offered to protect your educational investment by providing a refund of tuition and fees in addition to the University refund policy in instances where a student withdraws for medical reasons. The plan covers up to 100% for injury and sickness withdrawals and up to 60% for mental health withdrawals with required doctor’s certification that the injury/sickness prevents the student from completing the rest of the semester. The rate for the Spring 2019 is $183.50.
Waive the Charge
- You will get an email with all pertinent information and instructions to waive this charge. You may also contact the Business Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 512.863.1928.
VEHICLE PARKING REGISTRATION & WAIVER
- All Southwestern students are automatically billed $100 per semester for vehicle parking registration.
Waive the Charge
- If the student does not have a vehicle on campus, the charge may be waived. You will get an email with all pertinent information and instructions to waive this charge. You may also contact the Business Office at email@example.com or 512.863.1928.
MOVE-IN AND REQUIRED ORIENTATION
Move in: Thursday, January 10. Required Orientation: Friday, January 11. First day of class: Monday, January 14.
Get all the details in the 2019 Spring Orientation Schedule
Visits are available Monday through Friday at 9 a.m. and 1 p.m. Click here to schedule your visit to campus online or call the Office of Admission at 800-252-3166.
- Follow @SouthwesternU for all the latest news and info via Twitter.