WHAT IS OPERATION ACHIEVEMENT?
Operation Achievement is a mentoring and enrichment program which assists selected 6th through 8th grade students in the Georgetown Independent School District to develop the discipline and motivation necessary for academic success. Southwestern University and Georgetown Independent School District jointly run the program. Selected GISD students meet with Southwestern University mentors on a weekly basis on the SU campus to develop an academic program of study based on student goals, teacher/parent recommendations and individual learning needs.
- Spend 2 hours a week working with a student.
- Serve as a mentor to a GISD student for the Fall and Spring semesters.
- Assist a student with class studies, participate in enrichments activities, and establish a supportive relationship with a student.
- Set goals with a student and track the progress of these goals on a weekly basis.
- Act as a positive role model for students at all times, displaying appropriate behavior.
HOW TO BECOME A MENTOR
“Though a mentor may be a role model, a true mentor does not ask another person to “be like me” A mentor says,” I will help you to be whoever you wish to be.”