Office of Sustainability
Based in Facilities Management, Southwestern University’s Office of Sustainability works to advance campus sustainability through educational outreach and long-term projects.
The Office of Sustainability was originally proposed by the Environmental Studies Capstone Class of 2015 and the chair of the Environmental Studies Department, Dr. Joshua Long. Three years later, the Sustainability Committee and Facilities Management worked together to fund a full-time Sustainability Coordinator. In February 2019, Veronica Johnson was hired for the position. Since then, the “office-of-one” has been expanded to include fourteen part-time student workers.
Today, the Office of Sustainability leads and provides support for a broad range of campus sustainability initiatives, including the Georgetown Green Film Series, the Treasure Chest, Campus Sustainability Week, the campus’ AASHE’s STARS report, and many more!
- Darcy Hansen ’22, Environmental Studies
- Ceanna Cooksey ’23, Environmental Studies and Political Science
- Megan Crinklaw ’23, Environmental Studies
Climate Action Ambassadors
- Paige Hemingson ’22, Environmental Studies
- Ethan Shigalis ’22, Chemistry
- Krista Kelly ’23, Environmental Studies and Theatre
- Nafisa Nazeer ’23, Business and Economics
Food & Dining Ambassadors
- Allison Hewet ’22, Psychology
- Reece Sandercock ’23, Psychology
- Jess Karli ’24, English and History
- Sophia Trifilio ’25, Environmental Studies and History
- Emma McCandless ’23, Psychology
- Tam Ward ’24, Biology
- Rissa Oakes ’25, Economics