The Sustainability Committee is charged with the promotion of practices and programs that support the principles of social, financial, and environmental sustainability of Southwestern University as outlined in the Talloires Declaration and the American College and University Presidents Climate Commitment.
In keeping with the principles of these agreements, this committee is tasked with:
- promoting civic engagement and interdisciplinary learning to reduce climate change;
- increasing awareness of and practices of sustainability within the campus and among community stakeholders;
- reducing negative impacts on the global climate;
- creating an institutional culture of sustainability; and
- fostering environmental literacy.
The committee collaborates with groups devoted to curriculum, student life, and facilities and space utilization, among others. Issues on which the committee advises include, but are not limited to: energy use; recycling and composting; sustainability initiatives; building and landscape design; faculty and curriculum development; community partnerships; and civic engagement.