New Precedent Set for Pirate Program: Men’s Soccer Finishes Second in Conference Tournement

Garhett Bonneaux, Tyler Vaughn, Forrest Baker, Steven Resnik and Kyle Allen walk off the field after losing to Trinity, placing second in the conference tournament. Five players were named to the All-Conference team. Photo courtesy Pamela O'Connor

By John Stickels

The Pirates advanced to the final game of the conference tournament this season for the first time in school history, losing 2-0 in a game with rival Trinity University.

“I think a new precedent was set and the SU soccer program took a step in the right direction,” senior captain Evan Perkins said.

Junior goalkeeper Daniel Poole held off 14 shots from Trinity to keep it tied in the first half, making it five straight shut-out periods for the pirates during the tournament. The Pirates lost to Trinity at home the first time the two met, but then recorded the first at-Trinity tie in school history in the second match-up.

The Pirates defeated Colorado College in a shootout during the semi-finals to advance to the championship game.

“I wasn’t nervous about it. We had practiced penalty kicks, so I had the confidence to know I could get some blocks, and I knew my teammates would come through,” Poole said.

Senior Forrest Baker scored the first goal, and three other Pirates would come through to outshoot Colorado 4-1.

The Pirates also defeated Centenary College 1-0 in the opening round. Perkins scored the lone goal with an assist from junior Matthew Nickell during the first period.

Perkins finished his senior season with 15 goals and 8 assists, but considers his best experiences with soccer to be off the field.

“I think soccer, [and] sports in general, can teach you a lot about yourself, like where your strengths and weaknesses lie … and it puts you in adverse situations in which you have to learn to be able to deal with,” Perkins said.

Bookmark the permalink.