Juniors Make Directorial Debut: “Beirut” and “Night Maneuver” Premiere in Black Box Series

By Morgan Gribble

Juniors Alexis Gette and Abe Ramirez made their directorial debuts as a part of this year’s
Black Box Series, featuring two plays: “Beirut” and “Night Maneuver”.
“‘Beirut’ is about a young couple facing a deadly epidemic similar to that of the AIDS
outbreak in the 1980s in a nihilistic society stripped of individual liberties,” Gette said. “Those
infected are quarantined and those remaining are forced to live under extreme censorship. In this
search for happiness and truth, the two must learn to both embrace and deny the concepts of life
and death.”
“Beirut” features Katie Moss as Blue, a girl who crosses the quarantine line to be with her
lover Torch, played by Nick Kellogg, who is infected with the virus. Logan Raye also appears as
the Guard.

“I think the audience is going to enjoy seeing a true love story and the actors’ abilities to
take them on a journey,” Gette said. “It has something everyone can connect to, at some point.”
Ramirez’s play “Night Maneuver” is about two brothers, who both struggle for power and
an escape from their current position in life.

“It questions the term family and the bonds that are associated with it,” Ramirez said.
The two brothers, Lou and Tim, are portrayed by Phillip Smith and Chase Brewer, respectively. Each brother tries to understand their relationship, although they go about it in
different ways.

“I hope that this play makes audience members ask questions about their family ties,”
Ramirez said. “Use this as a reminder that family at the end of the day is all that we have.”
Both plays are the first time that Gette and Ramirez have directed and both have viewed this
opportunity optimistically.

For Gette, directing her first play was a learning experience.

“I have grown as a director and an artist immensely,” Gette said. “Directing in the theater is
what I enjoy in life, and having the chance to find my own style and create my own rules on stage
is like a dream come true.”

Ramirez shares Gette’s enthusiasm for directing.

“This is a process that I have been looking forward to doing for a long time,” Ramirez said.

“This is my passion and I am enjoying every last bit of it.”

Both “Beirut” and “Night Maneuver” are being performed in the Black Box Theatre, also
known as Heather Hall. Performances are at 8 p.m. on Feb. 17 and Feb. 18 and at 3 p.m. on Feb.
19. Students receive complementary tickets that can be picked up at the box office.

Bookmark the permalink.