‘Zombies’ For A Cause

Students chasing one another in hot pursuit across the mall, socks flying through the air, a disconcerting number of red head bands, and distracted, strategizing looks on peoples faces. All of these are side effects of Southwestern’s second annual zombie week, hosted by the co-ed service fraternity Alpha Phi Omega, which began Monday morning.

All students participating were issued a red cloth to tie around their wrist or leg to mark them as human. Three “Alpha Zombies,” marked by bands around their head strategically began to make their killings and grow the zombie hordes.

By Monday night most residents in the Mabee and Kurth dorms had fallen, with a few brave survivors left cowering in their rooms, struggling for survival. With less upperclassmen playing and exterior doors to their apartments the other side of campus has made a longer stand.

“Kurth, Mabee, Olin, and the commons are definitely the most dangerous places on campus,” Sarah Faulk, a human survivor said.

School buildings are safe zones, however, the dorms are not and classrooms provide traps for zombies to use.

“We’ve been strategizing,” Alex Deri, an alpha zombie, said, “We ambush people as they leave buildings and group hunt.”

“The most terrifying moment for me took place over a span of a couple hours while I was sitting in Olin. “ Faulk said. “Zombies Alex Deri and David Vaden came and sat in the lobby with me and began massacring people. I couldn’t do anything without risking myself, so I watched them prey on people outside and eat brains.”

Thrown socks the only defense against a zombie and stun them for 15 minutes.

All a zombie must do is touch you and you immediately become one.

“I felt so helpless. They got like six people in the span of an hour.” Faulk said.

If a zombie does not feed within 24 hours of becoming one then they starve and are out of the game.

The game is not intended to make individuals live in a perpetual state of fear, but rather serves as both a fundraiser and campus wide icebreaker. Students had to pay $2 to participate and all proceeds went to the Bastrop Fire Relief efforts.

“The money goes to good cause and the game is a lot of fun,” Faulk said.

“It’s a good community builder. I have made friends with random people I didn’t know previously by going ‘Oh hey! You’re still human.’ A lot of teamwork goes into surviving.”

The same goes for Zombies, they work together to hunt.

“It’s a great way to get to know people.” Deri said. “You run right in front of someone tag them and then introduce yourself and then you work together as zombies.”

The zombie plague ceases Friday night and humans and undead will be able to reunite.

“It’s frightening to be a survivor,” Faulk said. “My friends are being picked off one by one and I feel more and more alone in the post apocalyptic world.”

Bookmark the permalink.