Campus Spotlight: Chief Brown, SUPD

Most young people have less than positive opinions of law enforcement officials. However, here at Southwestern University, it is a completely different story. Under the leadership of Chief Deborah L. Brown, students have learned to love and respect the SUPD. Chief Brown has interesting philosophies about the duty of a campus police officer.

“Our mission for the Southwestern University Police Department is to allow you to be responsible for your social time and for the choices you make… if at any point in your life you become irresponsible, you drink too much…or you don’t play by the simple rules that we have to have at Southwestern, that’s when we get involved. I think that’s very fair in this small community,” said Chief Brown.

The SUPD is primarily concerned with students’ safety and wellbeing. Chief Brown advises students to lock their doors and take responsibility for themselves, but also advises them
to have fun.

“Absolutely try to enjoy these four years outside of the classroom. Don’t beat yourself up for the classroom experience. Take time and use the professors because they want you to succeed, but don’t make the classroom the only goal you have for college. All work and no play…is not healthy. Make sure you have that healthy balance between the classroom and out of classroom experience because that will keep you sane,” she said.

Chief Brown contributes to the character of Southwestern. While a Texan by birth, she grew up in Ruston, LA. She graduated from Louisiana Tech University with a degree in Social Sciences, focusing on Behavioral Sciences.

Prior to working at Southwestern, she was the Chief of Police at East Texas Baptist University in Marshall, TX for five years.

Chief Brown enjoys Tex-Mex food and spending time with her only nephew, Tyler. “Tyler is the most wonderful thing in my life… he’s my hero. Obviously, I was born to be an aunt,” Chief Brown said.

Additionally, she is an avid horse lover.

“For many years I was a barrel racer. During the years I was really rodeo-ing really hard, I had two horses that qualified for the world championship five years in a row. I’ve been a horse person most of my life,” said Chief Brown.

She has also had interesting experiences as a police officer.

“When I was a police officer in the city of West Monroe, LA, I was running radar in a school zone, when this guy in a red convertible came flying by me. When I stopped him, he was crying. This man was just crying. I said, ‘Do you have any idea how fast you were going?’ He
said, ‘Ma’am I’m so sorry, but my wife and I have been trying to have this baby for so long.’ “He reaches in the console and pulls out this little vile which turned out to be his sperm.

He was trying his best to get it to the hospital to get it checked to see if he was able to have children. I told him, ‘Forget the ticket, just be careful. I don’t want to mess up your baby, so just go.’ I thought, you know, even if that was not truthful, that was a pretty good excuse for getting
out of a ticket,” said Chief Brown.

Chief Brown initially regarded her post at Southwestern as a stepping stone for municipal police work, but after 17 years here, she has grown fond of the school and the students.

“I feel very much connected to this university. Being able to see…the tremendous steps forward Southwestern has made in education, I feel like I’m a part of this community. I absolutely fell in love with it,” said Chief Brown.

Bookmark the permalink.