Walzel Courts, Corbin J. Robertson Center
The Corbin J. Robertson Center offers students a comprehensive, multipurpose resource for wellness, health, recreational and intramural activities and intercollegiate athletic competition.
The $8.2 million facility opened in 1995. The 95,000 square foot building is designed to meet the needs of the more than 90 percent of SU's student body who participate in individual, recreational, club, intramural or varsity athletics programs, plus faculty, staff, alumni and local community members.
The facility includes the Robertson Performance Court with seating for 1,750 during athletic competition, a 1/8th mile indoor track, four cardiovascular workout areas along the track with stairsteppers and stationary bicycles, a weight room with Cybex and free weight equipment, an exercise/aerobic room, the Walzel Courts, an athletic training center, a state-of-the-art human performance lab, the Walzel Natatorium (an indoor swimming pool), racquetball courts, locker rooms, Southwestern's Athletic Hall of Fame, classrooms and faculty offices for the Department of Kinesiology, and the offices of Athletics, Intramurals & Recreational Activities, Health Services and Counseling Services.
The Walzel Courts and Walzel Natatorium are named in honor of James V. and Pat Walzel, who contributed funds for the construction in honor of their daughters, Penny Walzel Alfry and Sunday Walzel Coffman, Class of 1983. James V. Walzel currently chairs Southwestern's Board of Trustees.
The entire center was named for the late Corbin J. Robertson, a Houston businessman and philanthropist. His widow, Wilhelmina Cullen Robertson Smith, has long been involved with Southwestern. Her late parents, Hugh Roy and Lillie Cullen established the Cullen Foundation in 1947. The foundation and the Cullen Trust for Higher Education have provided major grants for scholarships and facilities at Southwestern.
For more virtual views of the Southwestern University campus, please visit ecampustours.com