Engaging Minds, Transforming Lives

Title IX

Academic Concerns

Since I was sexually assaulted I’ve had difficulty going to class and/or getting my work done. Is there anything I can do?

SU’s Center for Academic Success (CAS) is here to help you deal with any academic questions and concerns, including finding out if you qualify for any short-term accommodations. Because every situation is different (depending on such things as your academic standing, the time in the semester, your course load, etc.), a CAS Advisor will work with you individually to see what can be done to help you through this difficult time.

Please note that it is better to come talk to someone in the CAS sooner rather than later – ignoring the problem or just trying to “figure it out on your own” might make you feel worse, and delays may impact the resolution of your situation!

Here are the steps you take to address your academic concerns:

  1. Schedule an appointment with a CAS Advisor by calling (512) 863-1286. Both female and male advisors are available to help you.
  2. You can tell the CAS Advisor that you suffered a traumatic experience and need accommodations.
  3. CAS Advisors will help assess what your academic situation is – class by class – and what your options might be. Options may vary for each class.
  4. The CAS Advisor will consult with your professors to determine what options are available. You will be held accountable for your academic responsibilities, but some accommodations may be made. You will then discuss the specific arrangements directly with your professor.

Do I have to tell my professors what happened? Do I need to make a police report to get services?

You do not need to make a police report or press charges to qualify for accommodations. As for how much you reveal to your professors, you need to keep in mind that they must report the assault to the Dean of Students. You can discuss this with your SU Counselor or SU medical staff to determine whether this would be a reasonable option for your particular situation. In many cases, very limited information is all that needs to be revealed. You can discuss with your Counselor how much or little information you would feel comfortable revealing.

What if I just can’t stay in school? Can I get a leave of absence?

One of the options you might consider is dropping a class or even withdrawing from the semester. Academic withdrawals are handled on an individual basis, and may require specific procedures. Before you make a decision, talk to your CAS Advisor to determine what all of your options are, how each would affect your academic progress and emotional well-being (BOTH are important!), and then make an informed decision.

How will this affect my GPA? My scholarships? My student loans?

When you meet with the CAS Advisor, be sure to mention any concerns you have about financial aid or scholarships. The CAS Advisor can assist you in gathering accurate information about your specific case. In many cases, there may be some leeway in terms of scholarships, etc., but every case is different.

I have a class with the person who assaulted me. Can something be done?

Be sure to mention to whoever you are working with - your SU Counselor or Dean of Students if you are in a class with the person who assaulted you. Every effort will be made to take action that will lead to a fair resolution of the situation, including the possibility of transferring one of you from the class.