Safety & Security
Southwestern is committed to the safety of our students. We are building a proactive and comprehensive health and safety program that is integrated in all areas of campus life.
Southwestern University Police Department
The Southwestern University Police Department employs six full-time, state certified police officers who patrol the campus 24 hours-a-day, seven days-a-week, year-round.
Police officers are armed and in uniform, and they patrol on foot and in marked vehicles to obtain ultimate visibility for campus safety. Some of the main functions of the police department are:
- Enforcement of local and state laws and University policy
- Crime Prevention programs for the campus community
- Building and residence hall security checks
- Investigations of crimes committed on campus
- Annual reporting (PDF) of crime statistics
- Southwestern University Annual Security and Fire Safety Report
University Police Contact
The Southwestern University Police Department depends on the campus community to report suspicious activity or crimes that have been committed or are being committed. University Police may be reached on campus by dialing x1944 or “0” for the campus operator, who has radio contact with the police at all times.
- 911 – Emergency
- 512-863-1944 – Officer on Duty
- 512-863-1944 – Chief of Police
Southwestern University is committed to providing a recognized safe and healthy campus living, learning and working environment. Faculty, staff, students, and contractors should adhere to the safety program requirements and practice the highest degree of concern for health and safety issues. It is our policy to promote and support the health and safety program in order to prevent occupational injury, illness and financial loss to our institution.