QUICK ACCESS: schedule | roster | news | home

Latest Summaries and Updates


trophy photo 2008 [5/3/08] On Saturday, May 3rd, the Bucs made the short trip back to Texas Stadium for the LSA D2 Championship game against St. Ed's.

The Bucs have never lost a game when making it to the Championships and were out to prove that this year would be no different. Furthermore, the Bucs knew that there were several things at stake, not the least of which was an Automatic Bid to the National Championship Tournament. The Bucs have been fortunate enough to make the trip every year since the D2 tournament started in 2005.

The Bucs were also hoping to send the seniors (Jake, Cole, Bryson, Lockwood, Orr, and Lane) out with an unprecedented accomplishment. Since arriving their freshmen year, the Seniors have NEVER lost a conference game, amassing a 23-0 record leading up to the Championship. One more win would ensure a feat that is unlikely to ever be replicated, or at least surpassed, as the Juniors have established a pretty good record themselves.

Finally, for the first time in a long time, ALL of our players were available and relatively healthy to play. The Bucs have had a heated rivalry the past few years, meeting St. Ed's in the Conference Championships the past 3 years. Every game is hard fought and always well played. The Bucs knew that despite their win earlier in the season, the Hilltoppers had the team to play Southwestern very tough.

The game opened as most of the games between these two team do, with both teams full of fire and intensity and feeling each other out on both sides of the field. The Bucs scored first to take a 1-0 lead before St. Ed's tied it up on a defensive mistake a little later in the first quarter. The Bucs were able to do something that they have not done exceptionally well this year, however, finish off a quarter. With a little over a minute left in the first stanza, some nice open field passing found freshman Thomas Mock streaking down the center of the field with one thing on his mind. He would not settle until he found the back of the net. After getting by one player, Mock was able to place the ball in the goal to give the Bucs a 2-1 lead.

On the ensuing face-off, the Bucs were able to gain possession and execute perfectly, holding for the last shot, which Heath Thompson was able to place by the goalie with just 1 second left on the clock, giving the Bucs a 3-1 lead going into the second quarter.

The Bucs never looked back, scoring three more to bring the halftime lead to 6-1. With the game going in the right direction, the Bucs opened the second half with a quick goal by Luther Faulk on a great pass by Hanrahan, followed by a great shot on crease by Senior Robert Lockwood. By the time the final quarter Started, Southwestern was up 8-1. St. Ed's would not go quietly, however. After a score by St. Ed's to bring the score to 8-2, Webb scored the final goal for the Bucs of the day with about 5 minutes left in the game to bring the score to 9-2. After several substitutions and some rookie mistakes and very sloppy play from both teams, St. Ed's was able to put 3 goals in over the next three minutes, before the Bucs were able to run the clock out to win their fourth consecutive LSA D2 Championship with a final of 9-5.

The win gave the Bucs the AQ for the National tournament next week in Dallas. The Final Poll and Tournament seeds will be announced Monday, May 5th on www.collegelax.us web-site.

We would like to thank all of the alumni, family and friends who came out to Texas Stadium and supported us this past weekend. We also appreciate all of the support we have received from the University and its various Departments this year. The success we have had has been a team effort both on and off the field.

Stay tuned for the National tournament update. www.mclachamptx.com

- Bill Bowman