QUICK ACCESS: schedule | roster | news | home

Latest Summaries and Updates


[3/30/08] In a match up between the two undefeated teams in the LSA D2, both Southwestern and St. Ed's took the field at 4-0 in a battle for outright first place and possibly the #1 seed in the playoffs next month.

The Bucs travelled down to Austin in the rain on Sunday morning, with the rain ending as they approached the field. What was left was a very muggy day and two teams that were very familiar with each other.

The sun peaked out between the clouds as the game began and both teams, as has been the case in so many of the match ups in the past began to feel each other out. The Bucs scored first on a nice assist from Irish to Lockwood on the crease. The St. Ed's defense really pressured the Bucs throughout the day, not really allowing the Bucs to get into much of an offensive rhythm. But the Bucs are a transition oriented team and it actually suited them just fine, often taking advantage of the aggressive defense that St. Ed's played to find open shots in front of the St. Ed's goalie.

The Hilltoppers missed a few opportunities in the second stanza that might have changed the momentum. However the defense, anchored by Cole and Dreamcrusher, really held the St. Ed's offense at bay all day. what shots St. Ed's did get, McDonough was able to see well enough to make solid saves. Fern, playing in his last game of the year, also played a great game, hustling all over the field and breaking up a couple of kky fast break opportunities.

The middies really stepped it up, with a decisive turning point being notched by Jake at LSM. The Bucs were able to stifle most clears from St. Ed's all day, and after a flurry of near misses in the second quarter by St. Ed's, Jake was able to pick off an errant pass at the top of the St. Ed's box and take it in and score to give the Bucs a 3-1 lead. The score was a big momentum turner, and was Jake's first of the year. The Bucs would add one more to take a 4-1 lead into halftime.

The intensity in the second half did not drop as both teams came out and fought for every ground ball, and pressured each other into numerous mistakes. Southwestern was able to take advantage of several man up opportunities and ended the 3rd quarter with a 6-1 lead. The Bucs would tally five more goals in the final quarter to bring the final score to 11-1, but knew this, as always was one of the hardest fought games, and that the Bucs would likely see St. Ed's once again in the playoffs with much more on the line.

Several middies played great games including Lockwood, Connor, and Faulk, to go along with the stellar play of all defensemen. This was the first game back after the long Spring Break, and the Bucs were able to rise to the occasion at St. Ed's to take their four year undefeated conference record to 22-0.

The Bucs had a short week of practice as the biggest weekend of the year was coming up quickly. The Bucs would leave the following Friday to travel to Arkansas to play Hendrix, a fellow SCAC school, that was enjoying their inaugural season as a varsity DIII program. The Bucs would follow that up against GRLC power Harding. a win against either or both of these teams would really solidify what the Bucs have been doing and accomplishing all year. While the scores might not always have shown, the very young Bucs team has made great progress this year in a very hard schedule in hopes of being in a position to pull some of these types of games out.

We appreciate all the fans that made the trip with us down to Austin against one of the best teams in the LSA D2.

- Bill Bowman