AMIGAS is a student-led, staff-supported student organization designed to help all Latina students reach their full potential and reap the maximum benefits from their time at Southwestern.
The AMIGAS mentor program assists in lowering attrition rates of First-Year Latinas by assisting in their transition to college and by addressing the possible problems in adjustment due to culture shock.
- Provide and assist Latina students with study strategies, techniques and guidance to ensure their academic success
- Provide a forum for Latina students to establish and nourish strong relationships amongst each other, creating an amiable environment of friendship and family
- Provide a platform to explore and gain a better understanding of how being a member of the Latino culture affects the student as an individual and as a learner at Southwestern
- Encourage student involvement in Southwestern University activities, organizations and community
- Offer Latina students opportunities for leadership