Steps to Study Abroad
Attend a Study Abroad Info Session
- Find out your responsibilities
- Find out the guidelines for studying abroad
- Possibly schedule an advising appointment with Tisha Temple, Director of Intercultural Learning or Cortney Carlson, Intercultural Learning Coordinator
Research Study Abroad
- Think about your goals for studying abroad
- What do I want to learn?
- What academic requirements do I still nee do fulfill: major, minor, general education, general electives?
- What courses must be taken at Southwestern?
- What courses may be taken abroad?
- How important is learning a language?
- Do I want an academic internship?
- What are my non-academic goals: personal and/or professional?
- Do I want to volunteer while abroad?
- In what region of the world do I want to be?
- Do I want to be in a big city or a small town?
- Geographically within my choice country/ies, where do I want to be: on the coast, in the mountains, on the plains?
- What is the weather like in my choice city/ies during the term I will be abroad?
- What does the city have to offer outside of the classroom that I’m interested in : outdoor activities, cultural activities, etc.?
- Where do I want to live; in a homestay, apartment, residence hall?
- In what type of academic environment do I want to study; do I want to study in a university, academic center, with locals, with international students, with SU students?
- Search through the approved program provider catalogs in the Resource Room in the Office of Intercultural Learning - Prothro Center - Room 233
- Research online
- Talk to your academic advisor
- Talk to your family
- Prepare a timeline
- Look at your budget
Conduct an initial appointment with the office of intercultural learning
- Select an appointment slot, or Email the Office of Intercultural Learning to schedule an appointment: email@example.com
- Make an appointment early - 2 semesters prior to the semester/term during which you’d like to study abroad is strongly recommended
- Come to the appointment with several programs that you like, or at least with a country/continent in mind
- Think about your goals for study abroad
hold follow-up advising appointments
- Schedule as needed
- These appointments will help you to narrow down your choice of country, city, provider, and program
- If you do not do the aforementioned research ahead of time, you will likely need additional follow-up appointments…and thus, may not be able to study abroad during the semester/term during which you originally intended
complete and submit the appropriate su study abroad application
- Access the appropriate SU Study Abroad Application: www.southwestern.edu/offices/international/study_abroad_applications.php
- Print and complete the application accordingly
- Turn in your SU Study Abroad Application to the Office of Intercultural Learning by the appropriate deadline:
- Fall semester study abroad = March 1st
- Spring semester study abroad = October 1st
- Summer term study abroad = February 1st
Complete and submit the approved program provider application (once approved)
- If studying abroad with a program provider
- Access, complete, and submit your program provider’s online application via their website
- Just before clicking “Submit”, print a copy of your provider application and submit it to the Office of Intercultural Learning to add to your file
- Please note that your study abroad program application may include a Home School Advisor Approval form, or Transcript Approval Form that must be completed by the Office of Intercultural Learning.
- We will complete it and email it to your provider
Attend pre-departure ORIENTATION
- You are REQUIRED to attend the orientation:
- 2 orientations for semester study abroad
- 1 orientation for summer study abroad
- General information and suggestions
- Receive all Southwestern pre-departure forms, along with an explanation of what information is required, and appropriate deadlines
submit southwestern pre-departure forms by deadline
- Please start working on these as soon as possible
- Your forms require various signatures and these individuals are not always readily available
submit program provider pre-departure forms by deadline (if studying abroad with a program provider)
keep in contact
- Registration difficulties
- Credit approval questions
- Culture shock
- Interesting stories or photos
- Work hard, play hard, be safe, and have fun
COMPLETE SOUTHWESTERN PROGRAM EVALUATION
- Helps future study abroad students to select a program
- Helps us to discontinue using a program if there are too may problems or to suggest it if there is great feedback
- You are REQUIRED to fill this out after you return