Global Engagement Hall
The Paideia Global Engagement Resident Hall is dedicated to helping students explore their own values in the context of individual responsibility to local, regional and global communities. Consistent with the mission of Southwestern, the resident hall seeks to foster a liberal arts community whose values and actions encourage contributions toward the well-being of humanity. We seek to develop leaders who will strive to alleviate social oppression in the pursuit of justice and the common good.
Students who join the Hall, benefit from social programming, academic programming, and shared discussions that consider issues and content important to preparing for to be a responsible global citizen.
What does it mean to be a global citizen?
The Global Engagement Hall encourages students to think about roles, identity, responsibilities, relationships and power dynamics that shape our understanding of the world.
- Develop a personal philosophy about what it means to be a civically responsible global citizen.
- Advance curricular transformation and integration through its focus on learning about and analyzing issues of concern in the world that may be influenced by personal action and commitment.
- Enable students to develop their knowledge building, problem-solving, and critical thinking about vital civic issues at the local, national and global levels.
- Learn about and reflect upon the complexity and interconnectedness of social issues and problems.
- Learn to recognize opportunities and resources for positive change from a local and global perspective.
- Develop a greater understanding of the global interdependence of today’s world. Gain understanding of global social inequalities.
- Integration between Paideia Cluster themes and Intercultural Learning and Civic Engagement
- Intentional thinking about the connections between Paideia Clusters, Intercultural Learning, and Civic Engagement
- Professional development
- Opportunities to participate in global engagement activities
- Structured and guided reflection linking themed housing with overall educational experience
The Global Engagement Hall is a joint collaboration between the Office of Civic Engagement and the Office of Intercultural Learning. For questions about the hall please contact: Dr. Sarah Brackmann, Director of Civic Engagement, Sarah Puffer, Coordinator of Civic Engagement, or Tisha Temple, Director of Intercultural Learning.