Office of Career Services

Academic Internships

Students can earn academic credit for internships in most degree plans. 

What is an Internship?

An internship may be either paid, unpaid or partially paid (in the form of a stipend). Internships may be part-time or full-time; typically they are part-time during the university year and full-time in the summer, and they typically last 6-12 weeks, but can be shorter or longer.

Internship positions are available from businesses, government departments and non-profit groups and organizations.

How do I get credit for an internship?

To obtain credit for an academic internship you must begin by completing the online Moodle orientation.  You can scroll down to obtain the Moodle Instructions for how to login to the module.  This initial orientation will go over all of the steps and paperwork required to obtain credit.  For questions, please call Career Services at 512-863-1346.

No appointment is necessary to complete the Moodle Orientation module, and it usually takes about 15 minutes to complete.

Some things you may want to think about prior to obtaining the necessary academic internship paperwork is what department you would like the credit in, which faculty member in that department would supervise you and where you would like to intern.

For more information on the criteria for academic internships and opportunities, please review the Beyond the Classroom webpage on Internships & Research Programs found in the Academics section of the University‚Äôs main page.

How many hours do I have to do to get credit?

The number of hours you have to work on site varies depending on how many credits you are going for.  For every one credit hour you must complete a minimum of 40 hours of on-site work throughout the semester according to University policy.  Of course keep in mind that if your internship site requires more hours than that to successfully complete your internship, you must adhere to their requirement.  The rule of thumb is whichever is more is the one you must follow. 

Paperwork for Internships

EFFECTIVE FALL 2013 - In an effort to be more sustainable, all required academic internship paperwork will be done electronically.  Upon completing the Moodle Orientation, you will be given access to the online documents within one week of completing the orientation.   All academic internships require students to complete an electronic Internship Learning Agreement and Contract prior to the start of your internship.  Students are now able to access Moodle to complete the online orientation program.  Instructions are provided below.  Should you have additional questions or need to meet with the Internship Coordinator about your specific internship situation, you are strongly encouraged to make an appointment through the Career Services Office in the Prothro Center.  In addition, all academic interns are required to complete and hours logs weekly for fall/spring internships and monthly for summer internships.  (Exceptions to this policy are those students participating in the New York Arts Program, Washington Semester Program or Texas Politics course)

For students looking to create an internship with an organization (whether on-campus or off-campus), we have developed an Internship Proposal Form to help you in this process.  You will turn the completed proposal form in to the Southwestern University Internship Coordinator prior to the start of your internship.

Moodle Instructions:  Orientation for Academic Internship Paperwork Requirements

Student Guide to Academic Internships

Southwestern University Internship Proposal Form

Sample Academic Internship Contract