Faculty Affairs Council Meeting Minutes
April 15, 2011
FAC minutes – April 15, 2011
1. The Council engaged in a discussion with Mike Leese regarding harassment policies at Southwestern. Dr. Leese outlined the existing policies and it was agreed that these policies would be shared with the faculty at the next faculty meeting. The Council agreed to revisit this issue in the fall to determine more specific policies should be developed.
2. Maria Lowe led a discussion regarding guidelines for the use of social media and shared a draft of a possible set of guidelines. It was agreed that this information should be included in the Faculty Handbook in the section regarding internet use.
3. It was agreed that the new teaching evaluation would be revisited by the Council in the fall and would be submitted to the faculty for their approval at the September or October faculty meeting.
4. The Council discussed a motion from Maria Lowe regarding faculty concerns about the lack of funding for salary increases. After discussion, it was agreed that the motion would be amended, voted on by the Council electronically, and then forwarded to the faculty for a vote at the April meeting.
5. The Faculty Statement on Religious diversity and the edits from the University Council were discussed. The Council did not approve the edits and agreed to revisit the document in the fall.
6. The Council approved new language for the Faculty and Council/Committee Responsibilities section in the Faculty Handbook