Here is a brief update on the strategic direction and the supporting strategies of Shaping Our Future: The Strategic Plan for Southwestern University 2010-2020.
Strategic Direction: Academic Mission
- Fundraising for a new science facility.
- A task force is studying the possibility of revising policies regarding the portability of financial aid to support study abroad.
Enhance Our Campus Experience and Residence Life
- Based on research conducted by the strategic enrollment advising firm of Scannell & Kurz, determining the most effective models for awarding financial assistance to prospective students.
- Developing a new direct mail strategy to better target prospective students who demonstrate a high probability to enroll at Southwestern.
- Initiating efforts to strengthen Religious Life through weekly chapel services, expanded Destination: Service opportunities, and increased Inter-faith Dialogue programs.
- The Enhancement of Greek Life Task Force is determining how to best capture Greek Life potential.
- Completed a thorough cost/need analysis for athletic and recreational facilities.
- Exploring with the City of Georgetown a bike path from the University to the Georgetown Square.
Build Far-Reaching Visibility and Recognition
- Presenting results of the name recognition research and recommendations to the Board of Trustees for consideration at the mid-Winter meeting (January 27 and 28). Action steps will be taken based on any decisions made by the Board.
- Continuing communication with alumni and other constituencies, including posting the name recognition research findings.
- Increasing visibility through successful placements: including stories on the 2000-2010 decade of accomplishments, Jake Schrum’s decade as President, Thinking Ahead Campaign surpassing $100 million, op-ed by Provost Jim Hunt on risk taking, the University’s 100th Homecoming celebration, sustainability initiatives by students and the University, a series of articles on Prof. Laura Hobgood-Oster’s new book The Friends We Keep, and more. http://www.southwestern.edu/newsroom/
Ensure the Financial Vitality and Overall Sustainability of the Institution
- A task force is developing a strategy for the east campus property.
- Supporting the financial needs of the strategic plan, the Board of Trustees approved launching Thinking Ahead: The Campaign for Southwestern University Phase II.