To see existing Mailman lists viewable by the public go to:
(NOTE: Some lists will not show up here if they are private, which is decided by the list owner)
For general help using Mailman as a subscriber to a list, please visit the:
Mailman List Member Manual
If you are a list owner and need help configuring your list, please visit one of these excellent references:
Mailman Admin Quick-Reference Guide
Mailman List Management Guide ( Also available in PDF format)
Faculty and StaffFaculty or Staff members needing a new list created, must send an e-mail with the name of the list (1), a brief description, and a password that you would like to use for administrative functions to: firstname.lastname@example.org
When your list is created, you will receive an e-mail acknowledgement with detailed instructions for accessing the administion web pages for the list. Please refer to the documentation in the help section above for assistance with understanding all of the available configuration options.
Through the web-based admin pages, you will be able to easily mass-subscribe addresses to your list, or people can subscribe themselves to the list using the address that is mailed to you when the list is created.
If you require further assistance, please e-mail the ITS HelpDesk again explaining your problem. Alternatively, you can call x7333 (512-819-7333) during business hours.
(1) It is strongly recommended that you create your list with a name that begins with "su-", as nearly all listnames which already exist follow that structure. It makes it easier for people to identify the address as a mailing list on campus. Also, all lists created for courses should follow the structure su-XXX-YYY, where XXX is the 3-letter department abreviation, and YYY is the course number. Optionally, a -ZZ can be added which will denote the section if multiple lists are needed for different sections of a given course -- though to avoid confusion, this is not recommended.
StudentsIt is common for student organizations to make use of mailing lists for discussions and communication. To have a mailing list created for a student organization, do the following:
- Check http://www.southwestern.edu/mailman/listinfo to make sure a list for your organization doesn't already exist. If not, then...
- Have a faculty or staff member agree to "sponsor" your list. Sponsorship means that the faculty member will be the administrative "owner" of the list. They will be responsible for minimal administrative tasks when necessary. Make sure they understand this before agreeing to sponsor the list!
- Decide on a name for your list. SU mailing list names usually begin with "su-", and we recommend you follow that convention.
- Have your sponsor send an e-mail message to email@example.com with the list name, a brief description, and a password that the sponsor will use to access the list administration web page. The sponsor will be e-mailed a confirmation when the list is created. With the confirmation will be instructions for them on accessing the web-based list administration pages. The links in the "Help" section above can provide directions for managing the list and making any desired configuration changes.