E-mail & Passwords
Your SUeID is your Southwestern electronic (digital) identity to access all online web services at Southwestern. Please do not share your password with anyone! Remember, anyone who has your password can impersonate you, read your e-mail, delete your data files, view class grades and rosters, and so on. PROTECT YOUR PASSWORD AND YOUR SU IDENTITY!
The form of your e-mail address is: your_SUeID@southwestern.edu
Email is the primary form of communication on campus and you need to check your email frequently. Any official university communications are sent to your Southwestern email address. You can access your mail through the Southwestern portal at MySouthwestern.edu and once logged in, click on the WebMail tab. Make sure you maintain your email mailbox and delete old messages regularly. You will be surprised how quickly your Inbox will grow in size if it is not maintained!
Configuring a Mail Client
You may want to use an e-mail client to read your mail on a regular basis (e.g. Apple Mail, Thunderbird). In order to do so, you will need to know the names of the incoming and outgoing mail servers.
Incoming Server: imap.southwestern.edu
- Outgoing Mail Server will be: smtp.southwestern.edu
- smtp.southwestern.edu reguires authentification. The image below provides an example of the information that must be provided for off site authentification
More about passwords
Faculty/Staff and Students are required to change their password every 180 days. You can change your password by visiting www.southwestern.edu/password Notices about expiring passwords are sent starting 10 days before your password expires and then everyday until you change your password or the password expires.
- Your new password must be completely different from your current password (i.e., 'Password1' cannot be changed to 'passWord1').
- At least two lower case letters
- At least one upper case letter
- At least one number
- Password length: 6 - 8 alphanumeric characters