Southwestern University ~ Founding to 1885
Original Southwestern University Building Circa 1881
In January of 1870, several leading citizens met in the Williamson County Courthouse to organize the Georgetown College Corporation, a stock company that hoped to build a college in Georgetown.  Stock certificates sold for $50 gold, and the funds from the sale were used to erect a two story stone building on land donated by George W. Glasscock, a prominent Georgetown citizen.
The stockholders were using the building when Reverend William Monk heard that the Texas Methodist Conferences were planning a university within the state.  He successfully encouraged the Georgetown group to bid for the university and use the building for this college.  When the Georgetown company turned their assets over to the directors of the Texas University Company, "Texas University" became a reality.
Monday, October 6, 1873, Reverend F. A. Mood, Professor B. E. Crietzberg, and Professor H. M. Reynolds began classes with thirty-three college students and seventy college preparatory, elementary, and primary students. During the 1873-1874 session, the college was composed of men only.  By the fall of 1878, women attended college classes in the basement of the Presbyterian Church. Rumors of plans for a women's college instigated the establishment of the 'Young Ladies School' located four blocks from the main campus. By the end of the 1874-1875 school year, the name "Texas University" had been relinquished to the state, and the institution became known as South Western University. In 1881, renovations finished the inside of the building and added a third story for the rapidly growing student body.
[Return to top] [Return to History Home]
Send suggestions, questions or comments about these web pages