How Can I Join?
The Southwestern University Chapter of Psi Chi currently has many students as active members. Psychology majors who earn a high GPA are invited to join Psi Chi in the Fall and Spring semesters. Invitation is based on national membership requirements.
National Membership Requirements
Minimum qualifications for active student membership shall be as follows:
- Completion of at least 3 semesters or 5 quarters of the college course.
- Completion of 9 semester hours or 14 quarter hours of psychology.
- Registration for major or minor standing in psychology or for a program psychological in nature which is equivalent to such standings.
- Undergraduates who are elected to Psi Chi must have an overall Cumulative GPA of 3.00 and rank in the upper 35 percent of their class in general scholarship. They must also demonstrate superior scholarship in psychology, earning a minimum GPA in psychology courses of 3.00. With regard to membership qualifications, Psi Chi accepts the policy of the institution regarding grades.
- For graduate students, an average grade of "B" or better in all graduate courses, including psychology.
- High standards of personal behavior.
- Two-thirds affirmative vote of those present at a regular meeting of the chapter.
(These national membership requirements are derived from the current Psi Chi Constitution and Bylaws, revised January 1994.)