- IBM Extreme Blue - “The Extreme Blue™ program is IBM’s premier internship program for top-notch students pursuing software development and MBA degrees.” SU student Daniel Bauer was selected for this in 2010 (story here).
Computer Science Resources
MEETINGS AND CONFERENCES
- Conference for Computing Sciences in Colleges regional meetings
- ACM Special Interest Group in Computer Science Education (SIGCSE) each spring (February/March)
- The Tapia Conference is billed as a Celebration of Diversity in Computing
Grace Hopper Celebration of Women in Computing
CONTEST ANNOUNCEMENTS AND PROBLEM ARCHIVES
- Student Research Competition varying dates
- ACM-International Collegiate Programming Contest
- FIRST Robotics Competition
- Google Programming Contest
- More Google challenges and competitions
OPPORTUNITIES AT SU
- Faculty-Student Research Project Grant - for individual or group undergraduate research over the summer with an SU faculty member. Deadlines are in January, so start looking for a faculty member in the Fall.
- King Creativity Fund - for creative projects. In 2007, a group of students used the fund to develop a 3D interactive computer game to aid in the teaching of languages. Deadline is in October.
- Fleming Collaborative Research and Creative Works Program
- NSF REU (Research Experience for Undergraduates) - various programs and locations each year.
- ACM Computing Careers website
- Career News ACM’s career newsletter
- EE/CS Mother Site - A job placement and recruitment site, maintained by Stanford University
- IBM Research
- RADIANT at Los Alamos National Laboratory
GRADUATE SCHOOL INFORMATION
- The ACM’s Crossroad’s Student magazine published an article on Choosing a PhD program in Computer Science, with updates.
- Guide to Applying to PhD Programs in Computer Science
- Manuel Blum’s The 4 R’s of Graduate School: Reading, Rithmetic, Research, and Writing
California Institute of Technology - Center for Advanced Computing Research
Columbia University - Columbia Natural Language Processing Group
- Robotics Institute - The Robotics Institute at Carnegie Mellon University
- University of Texas at Austin - Department of Computer Science
- Michigan State University - Biometrics Research
- University of California, Berkeley - The ALPHA Laboratory
- University of Colorado at Boulder - Optoelectronic Computing Center
- University of New Hampshire - Research Computing Center
LINKS OF INTEREST
- ACM Crossroad (student magazine publication of “the world’s largest educational and scientific computing society”)
- IEEE Potentials (student magazine publication of the “world’s leading professional association for the advancement of technology”)
- desktoplinux.com - for all your linux needs.
- Cybercinema - an interactive site devoted to the history of computers and artificial intelligence in film.
- Evaluation of Face Recognition Systems
- The Garbage Collection Page - “a comprehensive resource for automatic dynamic memory management a.k.a garbage collection.”
- Computer Science - A guide to selected resources on the internet.
ORGANIZATIONS AND SERVICES
ACM (Association for Computing Machinery) is the world’s largest educational and scientific computing society.
ACM Student Chapters
The Association for Computing Machinery, is a departmental organization for students interested in computer science. The purpose of ACM is to increase knowledge and interest in the science and applications of computing.
- To receive infrequent but important email about the club’s activities, sign up for the su-acm list serve at this link.
- Upsilon Pi Epsilon Computer Science Honorary (UPE)
IEEE (institute for Electrical and Electronic Engineers) is the world’s leading professional association for the advancement of technology.
Within IEEE, the Computer Society declares itself “dedicated to advancing the theory, practice, and application of computer and information processing technology.”
- USENIX - The Advanced Computing Systems Association
- Center for Democracy & Technology - for the promotion of democratic values and constitutional liberties in the digital age.
- Computing Research Association seeks to strengthen research and advanced education in computing and allied fields