About the Department
The Kinesiology Department at Southwestern University is committed to developing students into active participants in their community and the world.
We seek to prepare students for life after college by developing their critical thinking and analytical skills, communicating abilities, and providing them with a depth of knowledge commiserate with professionals in the field of Kinesiology.
To this end, the mission of the department focuses on:
- Discovering and disseminating new knowledge about physical activity, exercise, and human movement and its relationship to human health and disease
- Educating the public and the University community in the scientific aspects of physical activity and providing instruction in a variety of sport, exercise, and recreational activities which enhance the quality of the University experience for all students, with an emphasis on making decisions about personal lifetime physical activity, recreational participation, health, and wellness
- Providing outstanding service and outreach to the field of Kinesiology and our community
The Kinesiology Department at Southwestern has clear goals:
- To prepare students for successful careers related to the exercise sciences
- To provide programs of study appropriate for pursuing graduate study, and for obtaining teacher certification
- To develop student interest and appreciation for careers in the exercise sciences, sports medicine, and health and fitness industries
The Department also houses Southwestern’s Fitness and Recreational Activity Program. The objectives of the Fitness and Recreational Activity (FRA) program for Southwestern students are:
- To develop knowledge, skills and physical abilities that contribute to the enjoyment of various sports and leisure-time activities throughout life
- To acquire techniques and expertise in developing and maintaining personal physical fitness
- To develop and practice a lifestyle that promotes wellness, physical fitness and incorporates recreational activities on a regular basis
- To promote interests and abilities in intramural and recreational sports/activities
The following policies apply to Fitness and Recreational Activity (FRA) courses:
- Two semester hours of Fitness and Recreational Activity course(s) are required for all degrees. FRA courses are graded on a Pass/D/F basis.
- One additional FRA course may be counted as elective credit toward all degrees.
- Repeat courses are not allowed in the attainment of the required two semester hours. Exceptions to this policy are: 1) repeating 47-001, Adapted Recreational/Fitness Activities, and 2) repeating a course in which content changes by design, such as 47-001 and 301, Selected Topics.
- Credit by departmental examination may be received in FRA courses upon petition to the department chair. Students must demonstrate appropriate proficiency to earn credit through petition.