Apply for Loans
Students will receive a Loan Instruction email over the summer, but you don’t have to wait for the email to apply for a Stafford, Parent PLUS or Alternative Loan. If you’re ready, you can proceed with the steps below to process the loans you wish to take. For more information on loans, visit our Learn About Loans page.
Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan Requests are completed by the parent. Begin the process on the Direct Loan Website. Until the steps below have been completed, SU will have no loan information for you.
New Parent Borrowers:
1. Sign in, using your (parent) FSA ID from the FAFSA process
2. Choose the link to “Request a Direct PLUS Loan” to complete the PLUS Loan application
3. Complete and sign a Master Promissory Note (MPN)
Important Message for first-time Parent Plus Borrowers: While a parent borrower need only complete an MPN once, borrowers must apply for the Parent PLUS loan each year they wish to borrow.
Returning Parent Borrowers:
Federal Direct Stafford Loan:
Steps are to be completed by the student, and are only required for first-time borrowers. Begin the process on the Direct Loan website.
To complete the loan process:
1. Sign in using your (student) FSA ID from the FAFSA process;
2. Click the link to “Complete Counseling” and choose complete Entrance Counseling for Sub/UnSub
3. Complete and sign a Master Promissory Note (MPN).
Important Message for first-time Stafford Loan Borrowers:
Until you’ve completed the steps above, your loans funds will not be disbursed to the school.
Federal Perkins Loans
Alternative Loans (also called Private Loans)
Credit-based loans used for educational expenses, available through private lending institutions. Interest rates and fees vary, typically based on the credit rating of the borrower/co-borrower. There are private loans for both students and parents. Visit our private loans page for more info and access to our preferred lender list .