Sexual Harassment Policy and Procedures
“It is the policy of Southwestern University … to maintain both an academic and a working environment free from all forms of sexual harassment of any employee or applicant for employment, student, donor, or former student volunteer or any other constituent of the University.”
- Full Text of policy for Adobe Reader
The Sexual Harassment Officer
Associate Vice President for Intercollegiate Athletics, Professor of Kinesiology
What is the Sexual Harassment Officer (SHO)
A Sexual Harassment Officer, appointed by the President of the University, is available to assist the University community in dealing with all complaints of sexual harassment and sex-related misconduct (even if the sex-related misconduct is not processed through the Sexual Harassment Policy).
When faculty or staff members suspect sexual harassment on the part of a person or persons under their jurisdiction, they should immediately take action by contacting the Sexual Harassment Officer to discuss the situation and determine a course of action.
The duties and responsibilities of the Sexual Harassment Officer include:
- Receiving notification from University officials and/or members of the University community of all allegations of sex-related misconduct including, but not limited to, “sexual harassment” and “sexual misconduct”;
- Reporting, as needed, to the University community allegations of sexual harassment and sexual misconduct and the subsequent resolution of those reported incidents;
- Reporting the initiation of any formal complaint to the appropriate member of the University’s Senior Staff and to the Associate Vice President for Human Resources;
- Initiating the informal and/or formal complaint processes as appropriate; be involved in resolutions of the incidents as appropriate.